PAP Permits and Application

Want to visit me and/or the Tibetan settlements in South India?
Most of the Tibetan settlements in India are protected areas and require a ‘Protected Area Permit’ or ‘PAP’ for foreigners to spend the night. ‘Day trips’ to any of the Tibetan settlements are permitted, but staying is not allowed without a PAP permit.

Areas that do not require a ‘PAP’ are:
1. Dharamsala in North India – Home of the Dalai Lama.
2. Dehradun, U.A. in North India – Home of the Sakya Trizin
3. Majnu ka Tilla – The Tibetan communities in Delhi.
Visiting and staying is permitted at these settlements without a PAP permit.

 Tibetan Settlements that require a PAP permit including:
1. South India Settlements of: Hunsur, Bylakuppe, Mundgod, and Kollegal
2. Bir in Himachal Pradesh in North India – 2 hours from Dharamsala.
    (Bir PAPs can be attained at the Dharamsala FRO office within a few days)
3. Many Miscellaneous settlements in North East India require PAPs

Hotels, guesthouses, and rental agencies will need to see your PAP on arrival. Police may ask you to leave and/or take you to their police station and ticket you if you do not have a valid PAP permit.

 PAP permits are easy to get:
1. PAP permits are free.
2. Rarely is anyone’s application revoked.
3. No invitation letter is needed when applying through the Indian government.

The problem:
PAP permits for South India take 3-4 months to receive after applying.
When accepted, your PAP permit will be mailed to the address on your application. An emailed copy can be requested. The original is not needed in India, a scanned copy can be emailed to you by family or friends from back home if you’re currently traveling.

1. Keep a scanned digital copy of your PAP (and other vital documents: passport, visa, travel insurance, online, for easy download if they’re lost)
2. A PAP is valid for one year, so always apply 3-4 months ahead to receive your new PAP and keep it continuously valid year after year.
3. Remember PAPs are free and if His Holiness the Dalai Lama teaches in South India or you get a sudden wish to visit me, you can simply pack your bags and go. No last minute permit troubles.

Downloading Your PAP

Download your PAP permit application here: PAP-Application.doc
The application is in ‘word.doc’ format so it can be easily edited and printed out. All relative important information has already been filled in on the application.

Emailing PAP applications is not possible because signed documents are required.

When mailing in your PAP application you must also include:
1. 3-copies of your signed PAP permit application (original and two copies)
2. 3-photo copies of your passport
3. 3 photo copy of your Indian visa (If you have not already obtained your Indian visa write: “Have applied for visa – not yet received” on your application).
4. 2-passport size photos

Mail your ‘signed’ PAP application with all the above documents to:

Mailing Address:
Mr. Parida / Under Secretary
Rehabilitation Section
Ministry of Home Affairs,
NDCC Building II, Jai Singh Road
New Delhi 110 001
Other Info:
Tel: +91 11 23438034,
23438037, 23438048
Fax: +91 11 23438033

Allow 3-4 months to receive your approved PAP permit.


Office Directions in Delhi:
Office open mornings: 9:30 – 12:00
Directions: From the Majnu-Ka-Tilla Tibetan Community in Delhi,
Take the Yellow (metro) line to Rijiv Chok metro station.
The NDCC building is at the intersection of: Jai Singh and Parliament Street rd.
(Rs-30 by rickshaw)

Alternative Site for PAPs:
PAP can also be attained through the Dalai Lama’ office in Delhi
But a letter of invitation from a monastery you are visiting is required.
No invitation letter is needed when going directly through the Ministry of Home Affairs.

Mailing Address:
The Rehabilitation Officer
Bureau of His Holiness the Dalai Lama
10-B, Ring Road, Lajpat Nagar-IV
New Delhi – 110024, India
Tel: +91-11-26474798, 26439745, 26218548
Fax: +91-11-26461914,
Web :
Email :